Thursday, July 26, 2012

What should I do if my boyfriend and I are going to different and far apart universities next year?

My bf and I are graduating this year and going to different universities next year, and we'll be separated by 3 provinces and two time zones (he'll be in BC and myself in Ontario). We've been together for over 2 years but I think that if we part, he'll find someone else... he told me to enjoy the half year that we have left together but how am I supposed to when I was hoping for our relationship to last forever just to have it cut short by university?

He's an extremely sexual person and I feel that since I gave him sex, he sort of "wants" me more. I know I love him very much and I know he cares for me a lot as well, but I'm scared that because I won't be able to see him for 4-5 months at a time (I'll be back for Winter/ Summer Break), he'll find someone else because he needs to satisfy his sexual desires. He told me himself that he can't survive in a long distance relationship because he needs that physical & sensual presence of someone with him. However, I still really want to be with him because I love him for himself, and I would definitely try as hard as I can to stay with him forever.

I had so many things in mind for us because I'd originally thought that we'd both go to the same university next year, but he got rejected, which was something that took me completely by surprise. I hadn't planned for that and now all of my plans and all of the things that I wanted to do with him next year are ruined.

I've been crying basically non-stop for the past few days and I can't concentrate on anything but him and our problem. I know that I want him to at least attempt a long-distance relationship with me. I want him to stay faithful because I know I will, and I want him to keep on loving me because I've always thought that he's the one I'm going to marry and the one that I'll be with forever. I've accepted him for himself, and I honestly couldn't care less whether he works or goes to university after high school - I love him for him.

What should I do? Should I stay with him or should I leave him now (although we have half a year left together and I really enjoy spending time with him)? If he still wishes to break up after high school, how am I supposed to cope, seeing that I'm already in bits and pieces at the prospect of it? Also... could you help me understand him? To me, it seems that half a year of dating is useless if I'm expected to just break up and stop loving him immediately afterwards. He, on the other hand, doesn't see a problem and wants to just enjoy what time we have left. I would think that if he really wanted to enjoy a relationship with me, he'd try to stay in a long distance relationship with me because it's not as if we're going to be separated forever... although 4-5 months at a time for 4 years is pretty tedious.

Just a note: I've tried to break up with him before but it's never worked because I kept on going back to him. I believe that he's the one for me, but I don't think that he does (for one, he hates how negative I am and doesn't understand why I want him to constantly tell me that he loves me, hug me, etc.) - I'm just a really insecure person and I'll admit that part of why I love him is because I'm not lonely with him around and I feel more confident - he always wants to go out with me every weekend and he shares a lot of things with me.

Any help is appreciated :) ~

He has the right idea, and you could just as easily find someone else at college too. I'd stay with him and then end it before you go to college, so that way you can still spend time with him but you know it's over. You can enjoy being with him while you're with him. If it's meant to be, you guys will get back together. Have faith, and trust me, you will be okay without him.